Sunday, June 14, 2009

Workshops



Painted with Plein Air Nashville yesterday at the entrance to Cheekwood and I did the big magnolia at the entrance gate you see above. We had three painters and one was actually from Memphis who happened to be in town and came out to paint with us.
This morning, got up and met Bill Brison at the gallery and went down to Watervalley to paint. I wasn't sure if I could get one due to the fog. It was terribly thick and never did burn off very well. On the trip back to the gallery Bill and I discussed workshops and the things we liked and didn't like about some. Teaching a workshop is something I have been contemplating for quite sometime but have never felt I was skilled enough to teach one yet. I don't think it is fair to paying clients who take the workshop if you haven't got a pretty good grasp of the painting fundamentals and an understanding of what you do and are trying to accomplish. But I also feel a sense of responsibility to everyone who helped me in the past, to take what knowledge I have aquired from them and to pass it on to someone who hopefully will also help another fledgling artist in the future. I remember how much it meant to me to have Jason Saunders and some in the Cumberland Society help me along the way and made a mental note then to do the same when I had the opportunity. I have also heard that by teaching a workshop you learn a tremendous amount about yourself and your own work and I am always looking for another way to take it up a notch.

1 comment:

Keith Tilley said...

I know what you mean about not feeling skilled enough to teach, but I think you have more to offer than you realise. We never stop learning, so how do you decide when you know enough. I think you've reached a level where a lot of people could benefit from what you could teach them.