Thursday, March 19, 2009

Springtime in Tennessee


It's springtime in Tennessee and the woods are starting to get that whispy light green look of spring. I am sure we will have a few more cold snaps but I think the winter look is over.
I painted on Art Lawson's farm in Bell Buckle yesterday. The first time I met him he drove me all over his farm and said for me to help myself. He also told me a story of how Confederates were camped on the hill to the right in this painting. The northern "aggressors" over ran the hill and chased our "god-fearing gentlemenly army of the south" from the hill. In their"calculated and fully co-ordinated" flight they threw quite a bit of their gear to help precipitate their manoeuvre from the hill. Art said people who have done their Civil War homework are asking to metal detect the area from time to time. His only request is for them to show him what they find and he said he has seen some incredible stuff.
To know Art you would think he had been a farmer all his life and had rarely left the county. As I was painting one day a neighbor stopped to watch and told me how Art was an Apache helicoter pilot in the Iraq War! It's like I said, everybody has got a story and I bet his is a doosie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I really love your green mixtures that make up the hill and tree. My eye is also very attracted to the brushwork what composes the tree's shadow. Great story too!

Kevin Menck said...

Ah, green. The hardest color on the planet to get right. Thanks for the compliment on my greens. I struggle with the value, temperature, hue, etc., etc. everytime I mix green. When I first started someone told me to throw away all my tube greens and mix them all with three colors. It has helped but I still do a lot of scraping and re-adjusting in my green areas.

Chris Ousley said...

Good design! I like the detail of the roof timbers peeking behind the old metal.
Go get yourself some premix "Tree Green" and "Grass Green" and be a "happy painter"!!! Don't forget the magic white...