Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Larger Paintings


Typically what I do to get a larger painting is pull a small painting I have here of mine and copy it, maybe changing a few things I didn't like about the original.This is my latest and you can compare it to the painting I used in the December 19, 2008 post. Painting larger has been a goal for me but I tend to be vasillating with my goals at times. It seems like life gets in and changes your circumstances which in turn may alter what you need to achieve at any given moment. I keep up with a painter named Stacey Peterson through her blog and she was a chemical engineer before becoming an artist and she appears to have a very analytical way of setting her goals, revisiting them from time to time, and staying on point. I never seem to have this real concrete target of where I want to be, say, at the end of the year. I just paint and work as hard as life will let me and hope to have made ground at the end of the year. When I do try to set goals, I realize I can't control what happens a week from now much less a year. There is so much that bombards our lives, outside circumstances that keep you re-adjusting so often you get off track. I think that is why it works for certain people, they stay on point. Stacey Peterson seems to stay on point.
Oh, and if anybody out there has tips on photographing work, share. It is a constant struggle for me. I am thinking about investing a little money to try and set up a small booth with lighting but then again, I am not sure what light will give me the closest color. The color above is atrocious and I even corrected it a bit in a software program.

2 comments:

Keith Tilley said...

I know what you mean about not being able to keep to a plan. Something always seems to come along to change things. Actually I don't think that's a bad thing. If we focus too much on a destination we may miss something interesting off to the side.

Do you set the white-point manually for your photos. I always set up the painting and then stand a piece of matte board in front of it (with the white back facing outwards). I use that to measure the correct white-point. I take the photo in natural light, out of the sun.

Kevin Menck said...

Thanks for the tip Keith, I'll give it a go.