Friday, June 6, 2008

Values, Values, Values


I said it before and I will say it again. It's all about values.
This painting was an exercise in getting the values right. I, for what ever reason, seem not to be able to stick my values perfectly the first time I put them on. It always takes a lot of adjusting as I am painting to get them right. I think I have to get everything on there first and then I can see them in relation to each other and start making adjustments. Anyway, this was a value nightmare. It took a lot of tweeking to make it work.
I painted this one this morning at the Williamsport Wildlife Management Area. It used to be settling ponds for the Occidental Chemical Company and they cleaned them up and donated them and about 2500 acres to the state wildlife agency. It's a great resource to have.
I think this painting is going to Brazier Fine Art for a show they are having the end of June through July. The paintings have to be water related, anything with water. I will post the dates on my website when I get them.

2 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

Well, you sure knocked all those values into place. I like the variety of color you have in each value range.
I have added a link to you on my blog. More people should be checking this out.

Kevin Menck said...

Thanks Frank. Every little bit helps us starving artists.