Friday, June 20, 2008

Again With The Values


Painted yesterday morning at Williamsport WMA again. I struggled with this one. I couldn't get the light right, it just was not working. So I took a little break, cleared my head and approached it again.
It took one value change.
I had the value for the key of the willows too dark. I was working under the assumption that if you make the darks darker and the lights lighter it will look like lumination, light. I think sometimes I tend to push my values out to the ends of the spectrum and a lot of times this is not the answer to the problem. It is still not as luminous as I saw it out there but you should have seen it before the change. Man, it was flat.
I am going to try to get back out there next week and hopefully be able to get 2-3 more paintings off this little lake for the Brazier Fine Art show "Waterways". We shall see.

3 comments:

Chris Ousley said...

Reflected light + diagonal shadows vs canoe make this a keeper. Good work.

Kevin Menck said...

Thanks Ouser. Would like to keep it but baby needs a new pair of shoes. I am sending it to Brazier Fine Art.

Chris Ousley said...

Oops, I posted under the wrong painting. Heck, I like them both! Dang babies and their shoes! ;-)