Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Commissions

I have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do a few commissions over the past few weeks. It's always fun to get to attempt to capture a piece of land and it's individual characteristics. Each landscape I step up to has a certain personality. They are all a bit different. If you don't believe me, ask the guy who farms it or hunts on it or just spends his free time walking around on it. You could drive them there blindfolded in the trunk of a car and as soon as they got out would know where they were. Thats why when someone asks me about my philosophy on painting landscapes I like to say I paint portraits. Portraits of the landscape. I try desperately to capture the look and feel and characteristics of that land and region and "personality" of that place. Lately I have have gone nutty on Douglas Fryer landscapes. He paints the landscape as it looks and feels, with all it's weather and textures and moods. Doesn't try to glamorize it or fluff it up. Paints the character of it. Guarantee, just by looking at his landscapes I would know where I was if I were ever blindfolded, thrown in the trunk of a car, driven to Utah and thrown out. And please, just take my word for it.
Also, while painting in Charleston with PAPSE I met Richard Oversmith who has an acquaintance that is the colorman and proprietor of Blue Ridge Oil Colors. His name is Eric Silver and he was kind enough to send me samples in the colors I use. After using them they reminded me of Holbein paints. Bear in mind I am no expert and I am sure Eric would answer any questions you may have, but compared to the Windsor Newton paints I use they seemed more soft and buttery. If you want to check 'em out, www.blueridgeoilpaint.com.

No comments: