Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ode to Biscuits

My youngest daughter loves biscuits. I mean loves biscuits. She will sit down to a pan of biscuits for breakfast and eat them with nothing on them. No jam, jelly, butter, nothing. She had a writing assignment at school recently and this was what they got:

"Ode to Biscuits"

Seeing sunlight
and buzzers sounding,
I saunter to the kitchen for
biscuits

Slippers scuffling
and people humming
everything's alive because of
biscuits

the oven is up and running
burning crisp the bottom
of what's in it
biscuits

my teeth pierce the outside,
crunch! into the gooey inside
it tastes like home,
biscuits

You gotta' love that.
Also, an artist and friend of mine, Erin Jones, will be teaching art classes beginning March 29. It will be a great class for getting going with drawing and oil painting. For more info, check her blog at: erinelizabethjones.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

January Asia said...

I have been an admirer of your paintings. And now, I also am an admirer of your youngest daughter's poetry writing. How lovely!

Lisa said...

Not only does she have an advanced way with words, I felt like I was eating a hot biscuit. What a great poem!

Kevin Menck said...

Oh yeah, she definitely has a "way with words".