Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Road Trip!



There is nothing in the world like a road trip. New places, people. I find it hard though to paint in a place I have never painted , it always seems to take a while to get acclimated to the landscape.
I went to Brazier Fine Art in Richmond, Virginia. Loryn and Tammy Brazier own and run the gallery there and have graciously decided to represent my work in that area. I spent last Thursady with them and took a little time to see Loryn's studio. It's sweet. A place up front for classes and workshops and studio space in the back. It appears from looking around that she is a very high caliber portrait artist. There were some incredible pieces hanging in the place. I am looking forward to being in their gallery.
After that I went back to Staunton, Virginia to stay and paint the following day. If you have never been to the Shenadoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains, go. It is beautiful. There is a highway that runs along the bottom of the mountains (I think 320) and parallel to Interstate 81, right through the Valley. It is small towns seperated by vast stretches of farmland with the Shenadoah River laying all through it and mountains all around it. There is just way too much to paint. The houses and barns all look 200 yrs. old. So much character to everything. Anyhoo, got 3 done on Friday and took a ton of photos and may attempt a painting from some of them. Like I said, too much to paint.

2 comments:

Chris Ousley said...

Staunton is a great place. I stayed there in Oct 06. Got some good shots and a few scribbles in my pad.

Chris Ousley said...

Oh yea, congrats on the new gallery. These paintings look good.